Who We Are
The SC Middle Grades Initiative (SCMGI) works through partnerships and collaborations with educators and researchers, government agencies, non-profits, and post-secondary institutions to sponsor projects that support improved academic achievement and positive youth development.
Literacy has been an important area of focus for SCMGI. Middle grades students must read to learn. Students who cannot read at grade level face obstacles across all subject areas in middle school and beyond. Given the critical need to ensure that children develop reading proficiency early in their school career, SCMGI has expanded the focus of its current efforts to improve literacy among South Carolina students to include early childhood and grades K-12.
Read to Succeed
Dr. Baron Holmes of SCMGI has been a key partner with the SC Department of Education, the SC Education Oversight Committee and other stakeholders in developing the comprehensive, system approach to improving reading that is reflected in the Read to Succeed bills currently under consideration by the General Assembly.
Key components of the bills include:
- creation of a Read to Succeed office
- development of district preK-12 reading proficiency plans
- mandatory readiness assessments for pre-K and kindergarten students
- summer reading camps
- retention for 3rd grade students who do not meet minimum reading standards (with certain exceptions for LEP, disabled students and others)
- additional teacher training in literacy